Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Measure of a (Wo)Man

Martin Luther King, Jr., once said,

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

In other words, it's not in how we act on a normal daily basis, but how we REACT when we are faced with conflict.

By now, most of the free world is probably familiar with our new mayor and her unfortunate comments.

At last check, Troy and its mayor were featured on MLive, Huffpo, the Oakland Press, Troy Patch, Daily Kos, and countless other sites.

All three local networks have run stories about it.

And the Mayor's response?

From the Patch:

"I firmly support marriage as being defined as between one man and one woman and I am not going to change my position," Daniels commented in part. "That said, I love all people and will continue to work towards promoting a vibrant City of Troy.

"The groups that despise me are digging deep to try to find something to worry about. They probably should start worrying about how they can best work with a new Mayor who believes that we live in a free country and we all have first amendment rights to speak our minds on any and all issues that are before us."

From a phone interview with Fox 2:

"I was not even considering running for mayor when I posted that. I firmly believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. As mayor, I represent all members of the community, and I am honored to have been elected. They are my personal comments and I posted them. I am not going to change my opinion."

From the Detroit News:

But Daniels said she wouldn't apologize. She said she wasn't even thinking about running for mayor of Troy at the time she wrote the update.

"I was thinking for myself," said Daniels late Friday. "My personal belief is that marriage is between one man and one woman. And I'm not going to change my opinion on that. But I love people."

Her first reaction is to defend her position.

Her second reaction is to vilify those who exposed her.

Her third reaction is to attempt to smooth it over with platitudes regarding her love all mankind. Except...you know...the gay ones.

Where is the personal accountability? The integrity? The understanding that this is NOT about her position on marriage and family?

This is about her using a gay slur...about exposing HERSELF as a bigot through the use of that slur...and about the inability to take responsibility for that by apologizing. She claims she "represents all members of the community," but by her own words, she clearly shows that her personal beliefs are above anything else.

Martin Luther King, Jr. provides another quite appropriate quote on this:

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

That begs the question:

Which are you, Mayor Daniels? Sincerely ignorant...conscientiously stupid...OR BOTH?


2 comments:

  1. It's telling, really.

    Janice was "thinking for [her]self".

    Notice that her "thoughts" utterly disregard how her "opinions" could affect others.

    It tells us that Janice doesn't care what others think, unless, of course, they confirm her prejudices.

    Which explains why she want Dave Wisz to give a "presentation" about the transit center to Council.

    It's ignorance trying to breed more ignorance.

    ReplyDelete