Sunday, December 4, 2011

Another open letter to the mayor

from Jean


Mayor Daniels,
I am horrified by your Facebook statement regarding "queers": “I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there.”I moved to Troy BECAUSE of its diversity, tolerance and equality-minded citizens, legislation and policies. I have been pleased and supportive of the anti-bullying messages my children have received in the Troy schools, and by the TSD emphasis on acceptance and tolerance. It is sad and pathetic that I will need to discuss your prejudicial, judgmental statement with my children - and explain how our own mayor could openly endorse hate and bigotry.
Your "leadership" has managed to shake years of hard work from Troy citizens with real integrity, and I am disgusted to have to be associated with your homophobic message. 
I await your sincere apology and call for your resignation. Your publicly "personal" denigration of gays has no place in our community.
Jean MacLeod
Troy Resident

2 comments:

  1. Everyone in Troy should know about that bigoted disgusting remark she made on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody needs to lighten up. Whatever happened to that old adage "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will NEVER hurt me?"
    Just like with the "N" word if it is so terrible then nobody should use it. If a word is so bad it should NEVER be used as a term of endearment.
    Until then nobody should complain.
    From the Urban dictionary:

    queer: Originally pejorative for gay, now being reclaimed by some gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons as a self-affirming umbrella term.

    As George Carlin once said "They're only words"
    I think we all have much more important things to worry about, than "Gee we may offend this person, or group"

    ReplyDelete