Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

In Defense of Truth

And now, a word from Neil Yashinsky, candidate for council...this is in response to one of the most heinous, most blatantly misleading, most disgusting mail pieces I've seen from "Troy Voter Guide" (ie: TCU)...in fact, it's the worst I've seen in all the time I've lived in Troy or been a voting member of society.

Hi All,

Well, we are getting close to the end of the election, as I expected the gloves are coming off. It has been said that there are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. I would add a fourth, crap the TCU says.

I would be happy to address each of these points individually, but that is what TCU wants. They want to change the conversation and we should not let them. Needless to say I am not for "Legalizing Drugs", but I do volunteer for an organization that doesn't want people to go to jail for having a drug problem. The same reasoning lead me and the California division of the American Medical Association to advocate for the legalization of Marijuana, because it is a more effective public health policy, and there is plenty of evidence to support that conclusion, but let's take a step back.

This email simply uses drugs as a means to attack TRUST, and create the crazy conspiracy that I started TRUST to forward my political aspirations. Like all of their lies they start with a kernel of truth, and then simply heap on the lies.

Why did I file the paperwork for TRUST? I volunteered because it was an important job that needed to be done, and others were unwilling or unable to do it, in part because of the fears of the attacks like this that might come. It is the same reason I got involved in TRUST in the beginning. The same reason I became Save Troy's website administrator and fund raising coordinator. I was willing and able to help. I believe passionately it is one's responsibility to help out to one's community if and when it needs you.

It is true that I do not set my principles based on which way the wind blows. When my friend Greg Piasecki, who lead an organization of which I was a supporter, developed a fatal brain tumor that would go on to take his life, he sent out a plea to all members and supporters asking for someone to continue this work as the group's leader. In fact it was his dying wish that this organization, that he had helped start, not die with him. Out of more than 200 members only 1 was willing to stand up, take on a volunteer role that paid nothing and risked much, that was me.

Why? It is the same reason I ran for City Council, it was an important job that needed to be done, and people who I thought were as good or better suited were not willing to stand up to the scrutiny that came with that role. To put it bluntly they were afraid of the consequences. It is something I can understand, believe me :-). I have always done my best to put fear aside, not because fools rush on where wise men tread lightly, but to paraphrase Edmund Burke, I believe that all that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

If you wish to think of me adversely because of my volunteer advocacy, that is your right; I would caution you that it is precisely what our opponents are trying to do, attack our unity. We have come together as a group, not because we believe the same things, but because we all value our community, and share a similar vision of what this city should be. It is possible for our diversity to be used against us, that is what they are trying to do with hot button social issues like abortion. I don't ask that you affirm any of my individual beliefs, but I do ask your support in this election, simply because I believe that is what is in the best interests of our community.

I do not believe that the well being of our community is what is motivating people who send emails like this. Of course the choice is yours and I respect your right to decide for yourself.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Neil

1 comment:

  1. This needs to be sent to everyone you know in Troy. These tactics, theatrics, and foul behavior that is being used by the opposition is not representative of the majority of Troy citizens. This unfortunate group only wants political gain and control. DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM!!!! Educate your neighbors. Show them the rot that is being spread. This will not help our community "grow." We need strong leaders with integrity.

    ReplyDelete