- 2008 - TCU runs an innocent-looking charter amendment that will cap Troy's city tax millage rate at a paltry 9.28, lower than 16 other cities in Oakland County.
- The recession hits around the same time and quickly shrinking property values cause marked drop in actual property taxes paid by Troy property owners.
- 2009 - City leaders recognize that freefall of revenues is going to doom Troy services. In the past city council could have raised millage rate to meet revenue decline, but because of TCU/Howrylak/Gosselin-backed cap, city council can do nothing.
- Feb. 2010 - TCU sends out lie-ridden, 4-page mailer in their effort to kill the millage vote.
- Feb. 2010 - Councilman Howrylak sends out lie-ridden letter to Troy residents in effort to kill the millage.
- Feb. 2010 - Troy residents believe TCU lies and vote against 1.8 millage increase.
- May 2010 - City Council votes to de-fund library in favor of saving public safety.
- May 2010 - Citizens to Save Troy Public Library forms and writes proposal for dedicated, .9885 millage to save library
- June 2010 - Friends of TCU/Howrylak/Gosselin add 3 FAKE proposals to the ballot in their attempt to confuse voters and doom the library.
- Oct. 2010 - TCU sends out lie-ridden, 4-page mailer in their effort to defeat the millage vote.
- Oct. 2010 - Councilman Howrylak sends out lie-ridden letter to Troy residents in effort to kill the millage.
- Nov. 2010 - The people of Troy believed TCU and Howrylak lies and voted down Proposal 1.
- Feb. 2011 - The city council refused to take matters into its own hands and save the library using a special Michigan Library Law.
And for the future? If you don't learn from the past, you are doomed to re-live it...
- TCU is planning to run a new proposal, a new Kempen Initiative! -- A city charter amendment that will force the city WITH ITS CAPPED BUDGET! to fund a library through the general fund. In the future, we will be discussing Mr. Kempen and his personal history of fiscal responsibility. Why is he such a cheap tax-hater? Wait till you find out!!!
- Oct 2011 - The TCU will send out lies in mailers
- Oct. 2011 - Howrylak will send out a lie-riddled letter.
- Nov. 2011 - Will the people of Troy follow these fools again?
- If this proposal passes, the bank will break and nothing will matter, our city will go into the hands of an Emergency Financial Manager who will ignore our elected council, make all the decisions and then Troy will really go to hell.
Follow Kempen, Howrylak and TCU at your peril, folks.
The cheap idiots are destroying Troy over a few, paltry tax dollars!
When will we learn???????