Friday, February 25, 2011

A sad truth from my sister

She lives in Redford, I live in Troy.
She wrote on my FB post about cities losing services:
I wonder how long it will take before the poor communities that vote for all our millage hikes will come to the rescue of the needy rich.
Is that as funny as it is tragic?
I'm not laughing.
This week I finally have to accept that Troy's library is closing soon, so I'm shopping for a library that I can pay for access to their books, space and services.

The libraries in wealthy communities will not help us. Birmingham-Baldwin, Rochester Hills, Bloomfield Township, and West Bloomfield have all announced that Troy residents are not welcome. And in fairness, if we don't care enough about our own library to fund it, why SHOULD they help us?

But what libraries will let us come? Royal Oak, Clawson and maybe Sterling Heights.
Hmmm. I hate to admit my big sister is wise, but there you have it.

2 comments:

  1. Just goes to prove that the young people are right - Royal Oak is a much cooler place than Troy or Birmingham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I now live elsewhere, I am a public librarian who used to work at several libraries in the metro Detroit area and I have watched the tragedy at the Troy Public Library with fascination. I would just like to respond to the comment that Troy residents are "not welcome" at other libraries. I can assure you that the staff members of those other libraries feel terrible for the library users in Troy and would love to help them out. However, libraries must be fiscally responsible for their OWN taxpayers' money as their first priority. Allowing folks who are contributing no tax dollars,and who have no services to offer reciprocity, to use their library is not fair to their taxpayers.

    Thanks for your good work with this blog--I wish all library patrons were as dedicated to championing libraries as you are!

    ReplyDelete