Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Vocabulary Improvement

From Sue...because there are some who need to learn this word...

hyp·o·crite

–noun

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

There has never been any subterfuge from me. My thoughts, feelings, and beliefs on the hotly contested topics in Troy have not wavered. I've never pretended to feel one way and acted another, I've never professed a dedication to unbiased expression of those feelings, nor have I denied anyone else their right to express their opinion however they feel led.

There are others who have.

There are others who claim to want open and equal expression of beliefs on all these same topics...until it gets too open and equal. Then suddenly, anyone with an opinion different from their own is "spewing invectives" in a "narrow minded" way. Suddenly we are unworthy of Christmas wishes because certainly we are unChristian or anti-holiday because we believe in a better Troy achieved through measures unappealing to them.

These same people will call me all sorts of names anytime it serves their purpose. They will argue that name calling is horrible while they are calling me names. They will call me an angry woman while angrily telling me how angry I am.

They are hypocrites.

I suppose that counts as name calling to them. When we point out lies, we are chastised for calling someone a liar. They subvert the issue with their blustering self-righteous anger, hoping the attention is off their shortfalls and on our perceived misdeeds.

It's obviously more than a vocabulary problem. But we can start there.

2 comments:

  1. Sue,

    I take full responsibility for the implosion of the "Troy Community Page" group on Facebook of which you refer. I just couldn't bear to watch Dave Henderson assert that his property taxes had not gone, when, in fact, they had. I then proceeded to criticize Dave's poorly conceived proposal for a "kiosk" instead of a full service library and posed a bevy of questions at him about his proposal, none of which he answered. It's obvious that Cristian Teodoridis, the creator of the group, felt he had to protect his comrade from such questioning, so he shut down the group.

    And despite his pathetic refusal to wish us a Merry Christmas, I do hope he and his family have a very Merry Christmas and an even happier New Year. I'm sure the additional dollars that he has traded in lieu of a full service library will help him to purchase many wonderful gifts for his friends and family. However, since we are referring to the birth of Jesus, I will close with his words: "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions." Luke 12:15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Sue and good reponse, Matt to Dave!

    ReplyDelete