The mailer says--
"The tax increase will: Tax Troy Taxpayers an additional $4.3 million per year, even though the current library budget is $2.5 million"
TRUE, but the budget was $4.3 million in 2007-08 and was then slashed until now, at $2.26 million for this year, they had to cut most programs and close on Saturdays and lay off 30% of the staff.
What kind of library do you want?
Budgets for nearby libraries in 2009 were:
- Rochester Hills Public Library currently operates on a $4.72 million budget (2010)
- Baldwin Public Library (Birmingham), $3.84 million
- Bloomfield Township Public Library, $6.27 million
- Clawson Public Library, $497,800
- Madison Heights Public Library, $656,256
- Sterling Heights Public Library, $2.8 million